Red Rising

Red Rising - Pierce Brown I couldn't put this book down and wanted more. This doesn't always happen and it is refreshing when it does for me. I have liked the dystopian genre for a while now, but I am very picky with this genrea. Especially for one that is billed for young adults and the next "big thing".

I see how it is being compared to [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1437799453s/2767052.jpg|2792775], but at the same time I found this book to be far more interesting than The Hunger Games. While both have "teens" killing each other, I felt this was far far better written than The Hunger Games. Many of the people were very likable, and dis-likable, and definitely grew as the story progressed in ways that the characters in the Hunger Games did not. Don't get me wrong, The Hunger Games is good, but that was for teens. I see Red Rising to be more of a trilogy that can be for both young adults and adults as it came off more for a series for adults than for teens. I see the Lord of the Flies and Brave New World comparisons as well, but I must say Red Rising was far far more interesting and, at times, much more scary in a sense.

I thought the politics and his anger towards the regime was more plausible as well. Ultimately, the comparisons are good, but don't do this series justice, just more of a "if you like _____ then you will like this" type of deal The story, writing, and characters are better than many others that are in this genre.

There is the whole "Gary Stu" aspect of Darrow, that I could see, but to be honest most books have that, especially those billed as Young Adult stories, so it doesn't matter to me at all because the story that was presented was very well written. Not only that, but I don't feel that he is fully a Gary-Stu in this. He has flaws, major flaws, and he's working on them. Darrow is very likable, almost too likable to a fault at times, then other times I want to yell at him for being such a dolt. I often feel like I can feel his pain more than this perfect person.

So far I don't see any visible love triangles, Eo is dead and Mustang is so far the only as of right now, as I am not including the sneak peak of the second book at the moment, which is very VERY refreshing as I'm sick and tired of all these love triangles. Hopefully the whole romance aspect will similar to that of [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899] and not have a huge love triangle, if at all. I also felt that the romance in the story was far more of an afterthought than that of other books where you knew that was being set up to have more of a bearing on the story.

All in all this is a truly fun read that did not feel like it was 382 pages long. It was so descriptive that I swear at times I felt that I had watched it play out on screen instead of as words on pages. There are some mild foul language and some rape in there, but hardly much to warrant a major reaction and/or mention. Not a fan of blood and violence, but Brown wrote just enough that it didn't overpower his story. For me the worst part about this book is that it's sequel is coming out NEXT year!!! (Yes I have come in late to the parade compared to those who read it earlier this year! Don't hound me! I know your pain! I've been through the Potter series and Sherlock!)

I have received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway for an honest review and am not influenced by the free book. I'd have read it anyways at some point.